The founder and namesake, Douglas J. Wooliver, founded his roofing company in 1907. He started with a horse and wagon and ran the business out of his house on Lakeway Dr. in Pittsfield, MA. Douglas would continue to run the business until his son, Stephen, took over in the mid 1940’s. Stephen, well known in the business world for his charitable donations, would remain active in the company until his death in 1983.
Douglas J. Wooliver roofing incorporated when the business moved to Lanesboro in 1971. Stephen’s nephews, Howard Gleason and Phillip “Tink” Wooliver, took over D.J. Wooliver & Sons, Inc. Gleason left the corporation in 1983 and Tink Wooliver took the business over with the assistance of his son Mike.
Tink and Mike experienced steady growth together and built a new 5,000 sq ft. warehouse in 1988, in addition to an existing metal fabrication shop to accommodate the influx of business. Tink remained active in the company until his death in 2002.
Mike, who is the company’s President, is fourth generation. Mike has assistance running the business from Superintendent John Butler, who has been with the company for over 39 years, and his two sons Chris and Matt.